Friday, February 10, 2012

Pairing Movies with Books



“It's the sense of touch. In any real city, you walk, you know? You brush past people, people bump into you. In L.A., nobody touches you. We're always behind this metal and glass. I think we miss that touch so much, that we crash into each other, just so we can feel something.”- Quotation from Crash

What do you think this quotation means?  Does it apply to your life?

***This is an example of one discussion board post that I would have students respond to.  I would pair Crash with a related novel and use this quotation as an introduction to the movie.  I would also ask students to answer the same question after having watched the movie.  Do you think this would be beneficial?***

1 comment:

  1. Renea,

    I like the question as a pre-reading/viewing strategy. I'm curious though. Why use discussion board? Is this something you want to implement in your class? The reason I ask is because I don't know how well discussion board would work when you have access to the students 5 days a week. Might you open with this in a quickwrite, or is the idea to give them time to think about this and come up with a more formal post? Just curious. But I do like the prompt.

    ReplyDelete